August 2, 2012

Decorating with Old Books

 I love a used book sale and am always on the lookout for books with colorful and interesting bindings to use in decorating. 

I just picked these up at our local library for less than a dollar;  a gray one and a pretty periwinkle one to go with my beach cottage decor and bottles.  Love the titles, 'Acts of Faith' and 'Memories of Midnight'.... 

 My bottles found a new home on the driftwood shelf above the t.v.

      This next photo is before I switched the loveseat and t.v.  It was a little cramped with the oversized teak coffee table.

And after...more leg room all around.  For now, I've placed a beachy white chair in the corner and my books on the floor while searching for a bigger bookcase.

For the new slipcover, I used the reverse side of the fabric for the body and the 'right' side for the cushions.  I'm really happy with it!

I learned a little trick of the trade when Mark L was here with Fifi last year for the photo shoot....Turn the lamps on even if it's sunny.  Mark replaces each bulb with a very low wattage bulb. 
Try it the next time you are styling and photographing.  It makes all the difference in the world!
I hope you are enjoying your summer.  Thanks so much for stopping by! 



Bethany said...

The new furniture layout looks much more practical. Love the slipcover!

Hege Sletsjøe Morris said...

Looks lovely! I love the bottle collection!
Thanks so much for your comment! It's not easy! I just hope my son doesn't have it too, but unfortunately he most likely does.. poor baby.

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

What a pretty room...and I love your bottle collection!